Thursday 18 August 2011

CHAPTER I - "THE POST STUDY "






LIKE I SAID … NEXT ACADEMIC YEAR,
 I’M GOING TO LIVE, TO STUDY AND HAVE FUN IN AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS.
LET ME EXPLAIN WHY AND HOW!!!








>>> Questions ???

     … Why …

First of all, I will get an education in the sector of robotics which I am deeply interesting in. Although I have followed a scientific career in the sector of engineering sciences … I have never lost the desire to study robotics, domotics, mechatronics that came to me several years ago. I would like to study this field more than in my dreams.

The second goal of my application is the linguistic gain of such an exchange. In fact, I have noticed that I learnt so many things when I worked in the United Kingdom last summer. Therefore, I will definitively improve my mastery of English. Moreover, I will get used to the scientific vocabulary which I will need for my future work.

The last reason is the cultural aspect of such travel. As you will notice on my curriculum vitae, every summer I spent my free time in a new professional experience. Moreover, traveling is one of my leisure occupations. I like to discover new countries, new cultures, and new people. Consequently, this exchange is a perfect way to live a full cultural immersion.

      … How …



Unfortunately, my engineering school doesn’t give some courses about it. However, their network between the universities is really impressive. As soon as I started the courses, I asked an appointment with the International service, where I met Miss Fuertes who is also my spanish teacher.


Few months later, there was the convention about International exchange. I took informations about University all around the world : Japon, Austrilia, UK, US, Canada. Thus, I met Miss Loubet who also take care the International service.


After this day, I was very sure that I wanted to study in a foreign university. Each year I feel like to leave from traditional education to start with profesionnal experiences. In that case, my school offers me the opportunities to follow my dreams.



    …First issues …



What you need to understand, it is whatever you like, you want … there is always a time which you have to take a decision.  In my case, the big question was …WHERE AM I GOING TO STUDY?

Yes, the first goal of this trip is to enjoy it, to have the maximum of fun possible. Moreover, during the convention, universities sent us their best negociator (who look and sound like commercial business man/woman). 

So, in the end of the PowerPoint your tongue is down, your eyes big opened and you want to spend your time in their student life ^^. Whatever, there is a time …where you have to be realist and get down of your big cloud.




What you need to understand, it is whatever you like, you want … there is always a time which you have to take a decision. In my case, the big question was …WHERE AM I GOING TO STUDY?




Yes, the first goal of this trip is to enjoy it, to have the maximum of fun possible. Moreover, during the convention, universities sent us their best negociator (who look and sound like commercial business man/woman). So, in the end of the powerpoint your tongue is down, your eyes big opened and you want to spend your time in their student life ^^. Whatever, there is a time …where you have to be realist and get down of your big cloud. 




In my first thought, I wanted to finish my engineering school in Japon like that I will be directly hire in a big Robotics ‘ company.  Before that I would have spent one year enjoying a Florida University like that I would have visited United States and spent one year speaking English and Spanish in Miami beach.  Of course, I would have checked the canadian education with their technological advanced in Robotics.




Stop dreaming ! Imagine that kind of trip and studies require a lot of money…Even if, my parents have always helped me in my professional projects …I couldn’t ask them that. So, I spent 4 months …looking for solutions and opportunities…meeting professors … Then, I found 3 ideas.
  








      …First solutions …






      





The first one, thanks to the CREPUQ program which enables universities to exchange student with Canadian University. For my part, I was interesting in the University ofCONCORDIA, Montreal where I could access in particular to 2 courses & projects about Robotics. [ENGR 6411 Robotic Manipulators I and ENGR 7401 Robotic Manipulators II ].



The second one, thanks to ERASMUS program which enables universities to exchange student with European University. In that case, I was interesting in the E-technology department including Introduction to Robotics, Project Work Embedded Systems, Project Work Robotics, Real-Time Embedded Systems, Nanotechnologies in the university Hogeschool van Amsterdam.

 The last one, thanks to the relationship between English universties, I could get a double master of science. During this exchange, I will study  : Communications Engineering and Signal Processing, Network Systems of Engineering, Computer and Information Security, and of course Robotics in the university of Plymouth.




                                        First Step 


x  Give your application folder before  the 28th January to the International Service. Don’t forget that it will be aimed at the ESIEA Committee of selection. In the folder, it must have :
  - Copies of your grades since your baccalaureat
  - A Cover letter, in French and in English, signed with your mailing address, email ESIEA, phone
  - A CV in English with photo ID
  - A grid of recommendation by a teacher in a techno-scientific material.
  - A grid of recommendation by a teacher in training human (TEE - TEO, PFH,...)
  - You will find the grids by clicking here.

x If you apply for several school, you only need ONE grid of recommendation by a teacher in a techno-scientific material and ONE  by a teacher in training human. Careful don’t make the same mistake than me. Don’t ask to Miss Fuertes because she is a member of the jury.

x If you are interesting by Western universities, go to see Mister Schott. Ask him by email an appointment. Or, you do like me … knock at his office door hoping that he is inside ^^. No, seriously ! it is easy to speak with him cos he has many courses at ESIEA (1st, 3rd , and CFA), moreover he is the kind of teacher who goes out with his students. So, between two beers ;) you can get your answers.


x Else, if you prefere European, Eastern universities, go to see Miss Fuertes and Mister Durouchoux can give you useful advises. She is really quick to answer by email. So, if you have already decided what university you want to go …virtual meeting it’s enough. Even if, you might forget some administratif details (like you have to study a least 3 semester at ESIEA in order to validate your diploma) … consequently, you should plan a least one meeting with her. The international office is inside the CDI, it’s often opened but you might need to check her schedule before.




                                        Second Step      

             

x  You have to wait the first answer from the Committee near the 18th  of February. Last year 15/33 have been pre-selected. Of course, you would like to know why ? There isn’t a clear answer. This year, the committee has been quite strict. They have accepted only strong applicant (will and results). Basicly, Miss Fuertes told me that you need to have a least 12 at the semester and validate all your modules.

x The Erasmus/Crepuq meeting with Miss Fuestes and Schott near the 2nd  and 3rdMarch. During the meeting, you might learn useful and important point about international exchange, but in the end you will have to prepare your project in front of a computer by surfing on each university that you like and the courses that you might study. What I mean is you will have about few months to choose your Learning Agreement. Without forgetting either Mister Schott, or Miss Fuertes, Miss Kateb (Manager of 4th grade program) has to validate and sign it.

x As soon as you have chosen your university and your courses. You will need to prepare some administratif paper for the 11st April before 12h :


 - Learning Agreement (minimum 30 credits for Erasmus, 15 for Crepuq)

 - A Cover letter which aims at the other Committee of selection

 - Visiting Request Form  (Current Program : 2nd – 3rd  year in Computer Science – Graduate Engineering School, Home Institution : Ecole Supérieur d'Informatique Electronique Automatique)

 - Copy of your passport

 - Letter of recommandation from Mister Schott and English school report (Miss Fuertes takes care of that)

 - A Erasmus contrat




                                        Third Step



 x Take out an additional insurance by contacting your main security insurance (Form E128 for Europe, Form Q106 for Canada)

 x Receive a favorable answer from your university (around for Concordia and Hogeschool van Amsterdam)

 x Get the TOEIC or TOEFL level required ( 710/950  or IBT : 75/120)

 x Validate your second semester

 x Buy your ticket with a safety ( Single train ticket to Amsterdam 35€,  return plane ticket to Montreal 500 € )

 x Research a flat, in both case it isn’t the funnier stuff to do :
- In Amsterdam : you will be contacted by the Housing Service Shortstay
Woonstichting De Key Department Shortstay Facilities Visitor's address: Hoogte Kadijk 179 1018 BK  AMSTERDAM Mail address: Postbox 2643, 1000 CP  AMSTERDAM Website address: www.shortstay.dekey.nl Telephone number 0031 20 6214 651 Fax number          0031 20 6214 322


Visting hours De Key office: Monday-Friday from 8.30 am until 4.30 pm The Cashier's Office (rent payment) closes early on Friday: 12.30 pm

Saturday and Sunday our office is closed.
- In Montreal : you will live in a hotel few days then I will find easily a sharing flat. For example, I have a friend who found a place 200m² for 500$ … contrary to with the same amout you can get in Paris only a 20m². The difference is huge !

No comments:

Post a Comment